Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chloe Completed


I finished my classical guitar this week, and though I have not been able to really play it in a quiet environment I can tell it has good sustain so I'm hoping that the actual volume and tone are nice as well. Hopefully I will have my guitar graded by Friday afternoon so that I can take it back home to play for the weekend. I'm fairly confident that my grade will again be higher than my last guitar, but I have no guess as to how much higher. I was able to spend a lot more time going back to the buffing wheels to remove scratches so this instrument shines pretty nice. The lacquer is very vulnerable for the first month, so I need to be more careful to prevent scratches in the first place. We have a carpet pad on our benches, and while we are wet sanding we have construction paper down on top of that to keep the mess controlled. However, I've learned that the paper is more abrasive than the buffing wheels and will scratch up the guitar, so while I'm doing setups in the future I will need to put something softer under the instrument. It's a process that takes time to master but ultimately this will save time and frustration.
Since this guitar has so much dark wood on it, any scratches really show, so I was sure to take out everything I could see. It looks great and is getting good reviews so far. I had a bit of a set back with the bridge earlier this week but it's all straightened out now and playing well. In the morning I'm going to make one final action adjustment before tuning. Classical strings take about a week to quit stretching, so I'm constantly tweaking them beings that we get graded on the tuning as well.








2 comments:

  1. Well, that is really a beautiful guitar. I think I like the conventional rosettes better, but that is just a matter of taste.

    Nice thing about the wooden rosettes is that you can design and make them a lot easier, of course.

    I can see some advantages to the lattice bracing, but it just seems to me it would be on the stiff side-- dampening resonance more than is desirable. (And it is very probably that I am completely mistaken...)

    Hope you aren't snowed in too badly.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should name your next one Stephanie. That's a really nice name.

    ReplyDelete